To mark the 150th anniversary of the opening
of the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1825, an exhibition
of Locomotives, Rolling Stock and other relics, took place
at Shildon, Co. Durham, in August, 1975. At the time of the
1925 Exhibition, the then Chairman of the L.N.E.R. was Mr.
William Whitelaw. 50 years later, the distinguished visitor,
was William Stephen Ian Whitelaw, his grandson.
part of the opening ceremony the name "George Stephenson"
was conferred on the L.M.S. Class 5MT locomotive No. 4767.
|In 1975, Shildon was one of the largest railway
wagon works in Europe, a long way from that small beginning
It was from here that the steam passenger
locomotive was launched, surely one of the greatest events
in the industrial revolution.
Although the industrial revolution started
before the birth of the railways, it was the latter which
changed England from a peasant economy to a world power inside
As a result of easier and cheaper transport,
traffic boomed, and over the first few years of the railways
existence, one of the main problems was coping with the management
of this new sort of enterprise.
original "Locomotion", could not be made to work
again without extensive rebuilding which would have destroyed
its authenticity as an historical museum item.
A full size working replica was built under
the auspices of "The Locomotion Trust" by a group
of engineering training establishments. It was constructed
as a memorial to the pioneers of the railway and as part of
the training of future engineers.