1837 Timothy Hackworth built 4 locomotives for the South Hetton
Coal Company, the "Buddle", the "Kellor",
the "Wellington" and the "Prince Albert".
They were used for pulling coal trains from the colliery to
the head of the Seaham incline(see Age of Steam, Soho Works).
At some point in time the "Buddle" had its name
changed to the "Braddyll", after Colonel Thomas
Braddyll, the founding proprietor of the South Hetton Colliery.
No information is available today on the performance or durability
of these locomotives, suffice to say, however, as the above
photographs show taken in 1948, that "Braddyll"
had survived 111 years, even though it was then in a dilapidated
state and abandoned.
is believed that it was withdrawn from coal haulage around
the mid 1870's and converted into a snow plough on the lines
of the colliery.
It was rescued by The Stephenson Locomotive
Society, and taken to Sunderland, where again it stood for
some years, before being removed to the Shildon Council Works
Yard. It was regularly coated with tar to protect it from
On the initiation of the museum project
it was moved to the museum site.
It stood outside the building from
which it probably started its life until 1994, wherupon
it was moved inside.
Home at last after 157 years.
The move, however was not without difficulty,
and it was down to the army, to provide the means to
get her home.
This is a history of the world of rail travel from Stephenson's
"Locomotion" to the Japanese "Lightning" train.